Main content | back to top
News and Media Releases
Saudi Aramco and Shell Finalize Agreement to Separate Motiva Assets
“Our longstanding investment in the United States is continuing to evolve and strengthen. We view this transaction as a positive outcome of the strong and historic business of Saudi Aramco in the U.S., and see next steps to support Motiva in its ongoing role as a major refiner and a top provider of refined products and derivatives in the U.S.,” said Amin H. Nasser, President and CEO, Saudi Aramco.
Under terms of the agreements, the assets retained by Saudi Aramco’s wholly owned Saudi Refining, Inc. (“SRI”) subsidiary include:
- The Motiva Enterprises LLC name and legal entity, which will be used in continuing its operations as a Texas-based refiner, distributor and marketer of gasoline, diesel and other petroleum products.
- The 600,000 barrel per day refinery at Port Arthur, Texas. This complex also includes a 40,000 barrel per day base oil manufacturing plant.
- A network of 24 distribution terminals with a total storage capacity of 11.1 million barrels. These facilities support product delivery to approximately 5,300 Shell-branded service stations and unbranded wholesalers, as well as product storage for third-party customers.
- Motiva will have the right to exclusively sell Shell-branded gasoline and diesel in Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Maryland and Washington D.C., as well as the majority of Florida and the eastern half of Texas.
Nasser added, “We fully support Motiva’s transition to a stand-alone integrated downstream provider of energy and with its strategic position, I am confident it will enable new opportunities for growth in the U.S. energy sector. Saudi Aramco will provide Motiva with the strong financial support and necessary liquidity needed to maintain an investment grade credit rating and capitalize on growth and expansion opportunities to help the company become a highly competitive major downstream player in the U.S.”
Dan Romasko, Motiva President and CEO, said: “In preparation for transaction close, we are working diligently on two fronts – delivering on our 2017 business plan and preparing the company for a successful transition to stand-alone operation.”
The transaction is subject to regulatory approval and is expected to close in the second quarter of 2017.
Saudi Aramco subsidiaries and affiliates have operated in the U.S. for more than 60 years and are a contributor to the U.S. energy sector through employment, partnerships with energy peers and oil services companies, joint industry and academic collaborations, and research and technology development in three US-based research labs. SRI’s involvement in the Port Arthur refinery began more than 25 years ago with a previous joint venture partner.
Notes to the Editor: The transaction described in this news release was announced earlier today in a joint release by Saudi Aramco and Royal Dutch Shell. This additional release is to supplement the joint announcement with information specific to Saudi Aramco’s business interests.
- Motiva will retain liability for its Senior Notes due 2020 and 2040, its Port of Port Arthur Environmental Facilities Revenue Bonds, and certain other debt.
- Motiva intends to continue its commercial paper program.
- Motiva intends to provide additional information to investors in its commercial paper and revenue bonds prior to transaction close.
About Saudi Aramco
Saudi Aramco is a world leader in integrated energy and chemicals. We are driven by the core belief that energy is opportunity. From producing approximately one in every eight barrels of the world’s crude oil supply to developing new energy technologies, our global team is dedicated to creating positive impact in all that we do. We focus on making our resources more sustainable and more useful. This promotes long-term economic growth and prosperity around the world. Saudi Aramco subsidiaries and affiliates have operated in the U.S. for more than 60 years. www.saudiaramco.com
About Motiva Enterprises LLC
Headquartered in Houston, Texas, Motiva Enterprises LLC refines, distributes and markets petroleum products. With three refineries in the U.S. Gulf Coast region, Motiva has a combined capacity of over 1.1 million barrels per day. The company's marketing operations support a network of approximately 8,400 Shell-branded gasoline stations in the eastern and southern United States. Motiva is owned equally by affiliates of Saudi Aramco and Shell Oil Company. www.motivaenterprises.com
Saudi Aramco (Dhahran): email@example.com
Saudi Refining Inc.: +1 (713) 432-4190
Motiva Enterprises LLC: +1 (713) 427-3699